Skip links
helicopter rides yavapai fair guidance aviation

Financing Flight Training: The Parent Plus Loan

by Robert Short, Student Services Manager, Guidance Aviation, Email Robert at [email protected] .Offices: 877-235-9444 (gr)

Financing flight training can be daunting.  Whether you are pursuing a career as a Helicopter pilot, Airplane pilot,  UAV pilot, Flightsafety award ben lewis financing flight training Dispatcher or Airport Manager, you have a number of financing options and loan programs to review when it comes to financing flight training. As an enrollment specialist and as team manager of Student Services, that’s what I do every day — the cumbersome paperwork.  I am here to help you through the application and enrollment process.  Instead of talking about all the options, let’s focus on one today:  The Parent Plus Loan.  And remember, don’t hesitate to contact me at any time.

– Robert  Short, Student Services Manager, Toll Free: 877-235-9444 .


PLUS loans are federal loans that graduate or professional degree students and parents of dependent undergraduate students can use to help pay education expenses. The U.S. Department of Education makes Direct PLUS Loans to eligible borrowers through schools participating in the Direct Loan Program.

Here’s a quick overview of Direct PLUS Loans:

  • The U.S. Department of Education is the lender.
  • The borrower must not have an adverse credit history.
  • Loans have a fixed interest rate of 7.9%.
  • The maximum loan amount is the student’s cost of attendance (determined by the school) minus any other financial aid received.
  • Info above from:

Are you eligible for a PLUS loan?  To receive a Direct PLUS Loan, you must:

  • Be a graduate or professional degree student enrolled at least half-time at an eligible school in a program leading to a degree or certificate, or be the parent (biological, adoptive, or in some cases, stepparent) of a dependent undergraduate student enrolled at least half-time at a participating school;
  • meet the general eligibility requirements for federal student aid. If you are borrowing on behalf of your child, your child must also meet these requirements.
  • Info above from:

General Eligibility Requirements

Basic Eligibility Criteria
  • Our general eligibility requirements include that you have financial need, are a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen, be enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program at your college or career school, and more. Make sure you’re familiar with our basic eligibility criteria, and ask a college financial aid office if you have any questions about whether you qualify.
NOTE:  There is no age limit when it comes to receiving federal student aid.

Students With a Parent Who Was Killed in Iraq or Afghanistan

If your parent died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11, you might be eligible for additional Federal Pell Grant funding or for an Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant.
Non-U.S. Citizens
Generally, if you have a “green card” (in other words, if you are a permanent resident alien), you will be considered an “eligible noncitizen” and will be able to get federal student aid if you meet the other basic eligibility criteria. Full details of which immigration statuses make you an eligible non-citizen are at the Non-U.S. Citizen page.
Students With Criminal Convictions
If you are incarcerated, have a conviction for a drug offense, or are subject to an involuntary civil commitment after completing a period of incarceration for a sexual offense, your eligibility for federal student aid may be limited.
Students With Intellectual Disabilities

Students with intellectual disabilities may receive funding from the Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, and Federal Work-Study programs in certain circumstances.

Staying Eligible
Once you’re in college or career school, make sure you stay eligible for federal student aid by paying attention to a few things, including keeping on track toward graduation. And remember to fill out your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSASM) every year.
Regaining Eligibility
You might lose federal student aid eligibility in a number of ways. Some of the most common are that you are in default on a federal student loan, don’t maintain satisfactory academic progress in college or career school, or are convicted of a drug offense.  Learn about other ways you might lose eligibility, and see how to get your eligibility back.


NOTE:  ALL of this info was taken from the Student Aid .gov site and can be viewed at:


Need more information, contact us directly in Student Services at Guidance Aviation.

Toll free: 877-235-9444

Email Robert Short, Manager, Student Services at: [email protected]

Guidance Aviation provides high altitude helicopter and fixed wing flight training utilizing the newest aircraft and best equipment available. For more information, go to or

Leave a comment

This website uses cookies to improve your web experience.